Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Prison, Shakespeare and the Meaning of Life

            The quote that struck me most when I was watching “Shakespeare Behind Bars” this afternoon was when Hal, the inmate who plays Prospero in The Tempest, talks to us about his experience with the program.  “It’s helped me to forgive myself,” he says, “but the self-forgiveness doesn’t seem to be enough.  It’s kind of hollow.  I try to find deeper meaning in my life, but this can’t be it.”
            Just about all the other performers talked about how much the Shakespeare Behind Bars program helped to change their lives for the better.  Hal was the only one who spoke about it as something ultimately unfulfilling.  I was surprised that he said that at first because the parts of the play I saw him perform were really good.  In the context of Hal’s life, however, I begin to understand how play-acting with his fellow inmates could merely serve as a temporary diversion to keep himself occupied.  With the guilt of killing his pregnant wife by dropping a hair dryer into her bath water hanging over his head for decades, a Shakespeare play probably does the same for him as would a Band-aid on a severed limb.
            Hal admits that “It’s helped me to forgive myself” and I can definitely see how that could be.  Taking on a role like Prospero, who has to learn a major lesson about forgiveness, could help someone to come to the same discoveries.  Finding forgiveness for one’s self and one’s neighbor can be extremely healing. 
On the other hand, Hal knows that any amount of genuine forgiveness isn’t enough to redeem him from the harsh reality that surrounds him on a daily basis.  He will spend the better part of his life confined to a prison.  He will never have the kind of opportunities to create meaning for his life like a normal person would in the outside world.  The reality is that he will never have a normal life.  Maybe performing in a Shakespeare play will allow him to forget about his tedious, restricted life for a while, but once the costumes are put away and the handcuffs get snapped back on Prospero’s last lines take on an almost sarcastic tone.
“As you from crimes would pardoned be,
Let your indulgence set me free.”
That’s all fine and good for Shakespeare to say, but from the lips of a convicted murderer it’s an overly simplistic view of the way society actually treats criminals.  Prospero’s plea falls flat on the ears of our criminal justice system. 
He’ll find no “indulgence” from the powers that be,
To set truly penitent murderers free.   

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your post. It was also interesting to me how Hal was basically the only inmate who didn't find acting fulfilling. He committed a terrible crime and not only killed his wife but his child as well. It is important for the prisoners to get out of the "prison role" and conform themselves into a new role of the characters they are playing. Hopefully Hal will be able to enjoy acting in Shakespeare Behind Bars but he will always have to guilt hanging over him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hal was the character I stuggled to like the most. The hair dryer in the bath was a little too much for me. After reading your rumination, I began to think that maybe it was a little too much for Hal as well, and thats where his internal struggles came from. Great Rumination, thanks for giving me another perspective. Also loved the ending, very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting and creative rumination! I agree that Hal was one of the harder characters to understand and accept. I am sure there are many issues internally that all the Shakespeare in the world could not solve. Sometimes the damage is far beyond repair. It was interesting to see the various perspectives you brought up though, I apprecaite your point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your take on this aspect of Shakespeare Behind Bars. I definitely think you are right when you say that this mainly serves as a distraction for Hal. Hal seems to be struggling to live with what he did, and rightly so. Your point about this being easy for Shakespeare to say rings true. Hal is a perfect example that even though you may forgive yourself, it does not set you free. Society will always have a problem with what Hal did so freedom is not really a realty for Hal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hal, to me, was the most difficult character to understand and relate to because of all the inner turmoil he is struggling with. When you first begin to learn of his crime, he admits to have mixed feelings about his sexuality, never truly knowing who he is. I think this was the beginning of Hal's downward spiral. By killing his wife, he thought he would be able to rid himself of the conflicts he was dealing with; however, it just made his life more complicated. During his interview, you can see that he is still struggling with many aspects of his life and may never figure them out. While watching the documentary, I wondered if the director gave each inmate a specific character for a reason. Hal seems to be able to relate to Prospero extremely easily, since he is looking for forgiveness. The other inmate, who plays the woman, dealt with almost the same situation as Shakespeare's character is dealing with. Perhaps the director knew of these commonalities and gave these specific characters to the inmates to help them work through their issues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this rumination. I could definitely see how Hal relates to Prospero, as he seems to beg for forgiveness throughout the story. I also love that Red associated with the character Miranda so easily. It was an obvious, yet deep interpretation of how Shakespeare changed the lives of these inmates. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed reading your rumination. Hal was a person that really resonated with me as well. I appreciated his honesty that, although the program served to help him on his journey of self-forgiveness, it could ease the torment of accepting what he'd done, and how those actions have defined his life. I can definitely empathize with the Hal's struggle to alleviate himself of the demons of his past. I've obviously never committed such a heinous crime against another person, however I've certainly made choices in my life that I am not proud of. Through asserted self-reflection and focused character development, I've come to terms with the actions I consider indiscretions, however they will always linger in my subconscious as marked points of personal disappointment. It's like the saying, you can forgive but never forget. Excellent rumination!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is interesting how performing Shakespeare can act as a sort of therapy for these prisoners. Hal was definitely one of the more deep and twisted prisoners, and I agree that Prospero was a relatable character for him. The whole documentary sparks up thoughts of forgiveness and good within evil. Great rumination that made me think!

    ReplyDelete